A hyperbaric chamber is a medical device used to deliver hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT). In this therapy, a person breathes pure oxygen in a pressurized room or a small chamber. The pressure inside the chamber is increased to a level higher than atmospheric pressure, typically about 2 to 3 times higher. This increased pressure allows the lungs to gather more oxygen than would be possible breathing pure oxygen at normal air pressure.
At Fitness Genome, we help clients in Carlsbad and throughout San Diego County recover from injury, promote healing, and fight infection through the strategic use of hyperbaric chamber treatments.
What to Expect in Hyperbaric Treatment Sessions
Hyperbaric chamber therapies begin by sealing the chamber, and then pumping in compressed air to increase the pressure. Under these conditions, patients breath pure oxygen that is then dissolved a a higher rate into the body, lymphatic system, and fluids. The hyperbaric conditions allow more oxygen to be delivered to tissues – especially those that are injured or oxygen-starved – even if the blood supply to those tissues is blocked or reduced.
The saturation of body tissues with high levels of oxygen has several beneficial physiological effects:
- Enhanced Wound Healing: High levels of oxygen promote collagen production and angiogenesis (formation of new blood vessels), which are crucial for the healing process.
- Anti-bacterial Action: Oxygen at high concentrations can enhance the ability of white blood cells to kill bacteria, and it can also increase the effectiveness of some antibiotics.
- Reduced Swelling: Hyperbaric oxygen can reduce swelling and inflammation, which helps to increase blood flow to the affected areas and reduce pain.
- Detoxification: In cases of carbon monoxide poisoning, the high oxygen levels displace carbon monoxide from hemoglobin, rapidly reversing the poisoning effects.
- Increase Collagen production. Increase collagen production by delivering higher concentrations of oxygen to tissues, stimulating fibroblast activity, and enhancing the synthesis of collagen, essential for skin regeneration and wound healing.
- Shorten recovery times. Hyperbaric oxygen helps alleviate muscle fatigue and soreness after strenuous activities, allowing athletes to recover more quickly and maintain a higher level of training.
- Improve skin elasticity. Hyperbaric chamber therapy can improve skin conditions by enhancing oxygen delivery to skin tissues, which promotes healing, reduces inflammation, and stimulates collagen production for healthier, more rejuvenated skin
- Improve Mood. This therapy can improve mood by increasing oxygen levels in the brain, which may enhance the production of serotonin and endorphins, neurotransmitters known to elevate mood and reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression.
A typical hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) session can last from 60 to 90 minutes, during which the patient can rest or sleep. However, the length and number of sessions required can vary greatly depending on the condition being treated and the way your body responds to treatment, from a single session for carbon monoxide poisoning to multiple sessions for chronic conditions.
Call Today To Get Started
If you are looking for natural, non-invasive ways to treat wounds, improve skin conditions, or boost recovery after training to improve your performance, hyperbaric chamber therapy may be able to help. At Fitness Genome, we can help assess your health and fitness goals and tailor a wellness plan to help you achieve them. Contact us or stop by our Carlsbad office today to learn more.